Sarson ka Saag | Sarson ki Sabji Recipe
For the saag:
1 bunch Mustard leaves (sarson)
½ bunch Spinach leaves (palak)
½ bunch Bathua leaves (chenopodium)
2 to 3 inch white Radish root (mooli)
1 cup chopped Radish leaves (mooli ke patte)
1 cup Fenugreek leaves, chopped (methi leaves)
3 medium sized Tomatoes, chopped
2 medium sized Onions, chopped
7-8 Garlic, chopped (lahsun)
2 inch Ginger, chopped (adrak)
2 green chilies, chopped (hari mirch)
¼ tsp asafoetida powder (hing)
½ tsp red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
2 Tbsp Maize flour
2 to 3 cups of water
Salt as required
For the tempering :
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 to 2 Tbsp oil
Puree of cooked Saag / Sabji
1. Clean all the greens and then chop them.
2. Wash all the chopped Green Vegetables with water.
3. Now take all the ingredients listed under saag except for maize flour in a Pressure cooker or a Pan with lid.
4. Let the mixture cook for 5-7 minutes. IF cooking in a pan, then cover the lid and let the greens cook.
5. Now pur the cooked greens along with the stock and mize flour in a blender.
6. Blend till smooth and then pour the puree of the greens in a pan.
7. Simmer for a good 20-25 minutes.
8. In another small pan, Heat oil or ghee, add the chopped onions and fry till they become light brown.
9. Add the prepared Saag of green puree aboe and stir and simmer for about 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally.
10. Serve the Sarson ka saag hot with some chopped onions, Whole Green Chillies and garnish with some butter on top of the saag along with Hot and fresh Makki di roti. Can also serve with Fulka Roti, Tandoori Roti, Puri, Naan or Kulcha.