Ragda Recipe | White Peas Curry | Bengali Ghughni Recipe
2 Cup Dry White Peas
Water As required
Salt to taste
½ tsp Sugar
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 Tbsp Oil
2 Dried Red Chili
1 Small piece Cinnamon stick
½ tsp Cumin Seeds
1 Onion (Chopped)
2 Tomatoes (Chopped)
1 Ginger (Chopped or Crushed)
1 Garlic (Chopped or Crushed)
1 Green Chili (Chopped)
½ tsp Garam masala Powder
½ tsp Dry Mango Powder (Amchur Powder)
2 Tbsp Grated Coconut
Cilantro (Coriander Leaves)
1. Wash the dry peas 2-3 times with water and then soak it for about 6 hours or overnight. Add ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp sugar in the water while soaking.
2. Drain the peas and boil them in a pressure cooker with 4 cups of water, salt and turmeric powder for 3 whistles on a high flame.
3. Heat ½ Tbsp oil in a small pan. Add cumin seeds, dried red chili, clove, cardamom, cinnamon stick. Saute for 3 minutes.
4. Add onion, ginger and garlic and saute till onions become light brown.
5. Add Tomatoes, green chili, Garam masala powder, amchur powder. Saute again for 4-5 minutes till tomatoes are cooked.
6. Now turn off the heat and let it cool.
7. Grind the masala Gravy to smooth puree.
8. Heat ½ Tbsp oil in a large pan. Add hing, boiled peas with water and grinded gravy. Mix well and let it boil for 7-8 minutes.
9. Turn off the heat. Your Ragda is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves.
10. Serve with Rice as a curry or serve with Ragda Pattice or as a Samosa Ragda chaat.
1. You may add 2 cups of peeled and chopped potato pieces while boiling the peas. In this case add little more salt according to the potatoes.
2. Grinding the gravy masala is optional. You may directly add the peas and cook.