Puran Poli Recipe
Puran Poli is a popular maharashtrian recipe made during Holi, Gudi Padwa,Gaanesh Chaturthi or diwali or any other festive occasion.
Puran Poli is a flat bread stuffed with a sweet lentil filling made from skinned spilt bengal gram/chana daal and jaggery. In marathi language the sweet filling is called as Puran and the bread is called as Poli.
Toovar daal or chana daal - ¾ cup
Jaggery or sugar - ¾ cup
Cardamom powder - 1 pinch
Saffron - few strands
Water - 2½ cups
Whole wheat flour (chapatti atta) - 1 cup
Oil - 1 Tbps
Ghee (Clarified butter) - for frying
Water - ⅓ cup or little more
1. Wash the daal under running cold water. Then Soak it into warm water for 30-45 minutes. If using chana daal then soak for 1 to 1½ hours.
2. Drain the Soaked water and discard, add daal to pressure cooker with fresh 2½ cups of water. Cook the daal for 4 whistles or till the daal is cooked.
3. Drain the daal water so that only mashed Daal Remains.
4. Heat a Pan on medium flames and add mashed daal and Jaggery. Jaggery will start to melt. Keep Stirring.
5. It will start to thicken up. Keep Stirring to prevent Sticking to Pan.
6. As it thickens more, Add cardamom powder, saffron and mix well.
7. To check the consistency of Puran, try to make the spoon stand vertically in the center of the puran. If the spoon falls cook a little more to achieve good consistency. Now the puran is ready.
8. Let the Puran cool, meanwhile make dough.
1. Mix dough and salt in a bowl. Add a little oil and mix.
2. Start kneading dough by adding little water at a time. Dough should be smooth and soft. Cover it and let it rest for 15 minues.
Making Puran Poli:
1. When dough is ready and puran is cool to touch. Divide the puran into 6 equal portions smooth balls.
2. Also divide the dough into 6 equal portions and make smooth balls. Flatten it out between your palms.
3. Put the Puran ball in the center of Dough and start gathering the edges, pinch in the center to seal.
4. Dust a little flour and roll gently to make round poli.
5. Heat the tawa on medium heat. Once hot place one poli and let it cook on bottom side, you will see small bubbles on top.
6. Smear some ghee on top.
7. Flip and cook by pressing gently with spatula.
8. Smear some ghee, by this time bottom part has few brown spots and it is cooked.
9. Flip and cook by pressing again the other side.
10. Once cooked from both sides, remove it to the plate, apply some more ghee on top and serve hot immediately.