Phulka Roti Recipe
Phulka Roti / Chapati are the softest of all Indian flat-breads. They are made to puff up by Cooking them on direct flame, creating an air pocket in between, hence making the bread very soft. It is also very rich in nutrients and fibers that whole wheat brings along with it, and also low in fat and very light on the stomach. Phulka Rotis are usually served with Curries, Gravy or Vegetable Sabjis. Find Easy to Understand Phulka Roti Recipe Below.
3 cups Atta / Whole Wheat Flour
1 to 1½ Cups of Water or as required
Salt to Taste
1 - 2 tsp of Oil or Ghee
1. Take 3 cups of Atta / Whole Wheat Flour in a bowl. Add salt, a bit of Water and oil/ghee and start mixing.
2. Begin to knead the dough adding a bit of water in between.
3. Keep kneading the Dough till it becomes soft and pliable. The Dough should not be very soft or very hard.
4. Now make balls of the dough as per the size of the phulka roti required.
5. Flatten the ball with your hands and dip it in whole wheat flour before rolling it on the board to make a flat round circle.
6. Put the Tawa on the Gas Stove and make it Hot.
7. After the Tawa is Sufficiently hot, put the round phulka roti on the tawa.
8. When the bottom side of the roti is less than half cooked, turn the roti and cook the other side.
9. The other side should be cooked a little more than the first side.(brown spots will start to appear)
10. Now cook the first side of roti on direct flames using a Tong. The Phulka roti will start to Puff.
11. Similarly cook the other side of roti on direct flame and the roti will puff some more. Avoid burning the roti.
12. Now your Phulka roti is ready. Now apply some ghee or oil on the roti to keep them soft for a long time.
13. Serve the phulka roti hot if possible or you can store the roti in a Hot Pot Roti Basket or a Casserole.
14. Serve the Phulka roti with Dal or Vegetable Sabji.
Tips : To make the Roti more Softer, Add 1/4 Cup of Milk to the Dough during Kneading.